Thursday, June 7, 2012

Izzy's Birth Story

I won't give you too many gory details of Izzy's birth story, but just enough so you know how she got here!!

Last Tuesday night I started having really consistent contractions at about 5pm.  They were five minutes apart when I finally went to bed at midnight... but disappeared sometime after I went to sleep.  Bummer. 

Wednesday I had some on and off throughout the day, but nothing very consistent.  Went to the doc that day and was dilated to a 3!  Progress!!  That night things picked up again and we ended up going to the hospital... where we walked the halls and stairs (we figure we did about 16 flights.  Ha!  May as well get some exercise) of the empty hospital until 3am trying to get me to dilate a little further - I was a 4 though.  The contractions were painful, but I wasn't progressing... so we went home EXHAUSTED!!  (And maybe a little bit discouraged... was I actually going to go into labor on my own or just pretend?)

Thursday morning we slept in a little and then walked across the street to breakfast at Panera Bread and then to Target to wander around while Grandpa had the kids for the morning (thanks dad)!  My cute hubby knows how to cheer a discouraged pregnant lady up!!  Still had some contractions off and on but just went about doing normal stuff with the kids the rest of the morning and early afternoon.

But Thursday night was the night!!  We ended up at the hospital about 3:30.  Since I decided to have a natural delivery this time I didn't have to have all of the monitors, so since I normally get stuck dilated at about a 5 so I walked the halls trying to get my body to get things moving.   After a few hours of hanging around with only fairly painful contractions, things started to pick up.  I had a couple of hours of painful, but not unmanageable contractions.  Then another hour probably of having to really focus through them and breathe.  Then about 30 minutes of really, really painful contractions.  Then about 10-15 minutes of "somebody kill me!" and it was time to push!!  I pushed through 3 contractions (oh... and felt the most pain I've ever felt...) and out she came.  She was beautiful!! 

Aaron was the best birthing partner anyone could ask for.  He basically just acted like a yoga instructor, which really worked for us since it is so familiar to us already.  He had me so relaxed between contractions I remember thinking "I really think I could fall asleep right now."  He helped me regain control when he saw me starting to lose it.  He was amazing.  It was a really cool experience for us and a really different one than with our other 2 kids.  He was really focused on me, keeping me focused and calm, and didn't really watch her come out like he did on the other 2.  It was really cool way to really bring this baby into the world together.

That being said... holy cow did it hurt!!  We'll see if I decide to do it again! Regardless, I'm glad I did it at least once!  All you girls who normally do it that way are super women!

waiting for another contraction - they were getting bad at this point
counter pressure on my back felt really good when the contractions started getting worse

look at the air in those cheeks!!  this must have been a pretty bad one!

Aaron was the best birthing coach ever.  He had me so relaxed between contractions I seriously thought I might fall asleep.  I'm thinking of hiring him out if anyone is interested.  :)

Holy cow, natural birth is a beast!!  I think my face is a combination of - "Oh my gosh, my little girl!" and "Oh, I'm so glad that's over!"




look at all that hair!

the birthing team!  my doctor is AWESOME and my nurse was too!



Daddy and his little girl

Grandma and her newest grandbaby.  It was really neat having my mom in the delivery with us for this one.
Van was actually really sweet with her when he met her.  He walked into the room, looked at her, looked at me, and said "Izzy came out!"

Kisses for "tummy sister"
1st family of 5 shot (BTW.... I really have 3 kids?  How old am I?  Is this really my life?  I am so, so blessed.)

The girls.  Emery obviously loves her.  She spends all day asking to hold her. 


ready to go home
Grandma and Grandpa Wilkinson came down for a day to meet their newest little lovey



More details on the cute little baby face to come.  She really is a sweet, sweet baby and we all adore her!

16 comments:

Judy said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. Way to go, having her without any pain meds!

Lesly said...

Oh what a fantastic story! We are so happy for your little family. Congratulations- her cute little newborn face made me, for fleeting moment, want another one. No worries- my almost 1 year old quickly brought me back to reality:) and bravo for going natural- what an accomplishment!!

Clare said...

I secretly want to deliver naturally, but I'm always a chicken, so I love reading birth stories like this. Way to go on another beautiful baby!

Starlie and Nate said...

congratulations!!!! she is adorable! and go mama! you are awesome for doing it natural!

The Rust said...

YEA..... you go sis!!!!!!!!!! Natural is the best.......after it's all done, during the labor maybe not :) SOOOO awesome you did it!

Lindsay said...

Awesome story! I know that frustrating, disappointing feeling of going to the hospital only to be sent home! Also, I'm kind of glad that I'm not 9 months pregnant right now after reading that. I'm considering going natural this time, and I might have backed out! I still have about 6 months to continue convincing myself to go natural!

Jessica said...

Woot! So happy to see she is HERE! (Love Van's comment: Izzy came out!) Darling name, too. She certainly looks like her big sis!

Way to go on trying natural. I will say this now, because you are probably already forgetting: I will bet you just might do that again... :) Hehe, not a thing to joke about RIGHT AFTER birth. But still, just wait. You will see. Regardless, way to go! I am so happy it was an amazing experience.

She is beautiful!

Jessica said...

P.S. You rock, Aaron. You don't even know how much it means to a laboring mama to have such an incredible birth partner! I love seeing daddy's so actively involved. You can take almost as much credit as Britt. ;)

Janssen said...

Hooray! So glad she's here and that you both survived!

HW said...

It should be illegal to look glamorous while giving birth. Stop it!! You are such a super star. I think you're amazing. I prefer to have my babies surgically removed. :)

HW said...

And I gotta say I love your Mom's short hair. Kiss her for me!

Sammy said...

Way to go Britt! Even though it is tough work there is something awe inspiring about giving birth naturally. It's a confirmation of how amazing our bodies (and minds) are and that we can do it!! She's darling!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You're amazing. I have had the thought once or twice that I might deliver the next one naturally...but I'm afraid to really say it out loud because I'm such a baby. Maybe you can give me courage. And I'm so so so glad that you went into labor on your own and everything went okay. WAY TO GO!!!!!

By the way. I can't wait for you to come back to Utah!

Brooke said...

Oh! She is beautiful. Congratulations. And you are amazing to do it all without meds!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Wow that is amazing Brit!!! Look at your beautiful family!!! Your children really are so so so so beautiful!!!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

PS you should totally rent him out because he could make some serious cash!!! PPS I don't think I could ever do it naturally especially after reading this!!! Was it amazing to feel how the body works? That is what my friend said and I always thought that was such an awesome description and would be the only reason I would ever contemplate doing natural. Good for you for sticking through it!! That sounds like the hardest thing and you seem to have good control over your pain and endurance.