Friday, May 21, 2010

I am an Iron Girl



Iron Girl Triathlon
May 15, 2010Lake Las Vegas

swim: 800 meters, open water in Lake Las Vegas
bike: 30k (18.64 miles)
run: 5k (3.1 miles)

bib number: 487
gender: F
location: Las Vegas, NV
overall place: 243 out of 645
division place: 34 out of 81
gender place: 243 out of 645
time: 2:11:18
pace: 0:
swim: 21:01
tran1: 7:47 (had to run 1/4 mile from the lake to my bike + dress)
bike: 1:11:39
tran2: 3:09
run: 27:41


post race thoughts:
  • swim: the water was a lovely 69 degrees. i couldn't afford or find a wetsuit to borrow so i swam in the top you see in the picture and an old pair of swim suit bottoms. i thought i'd be in good company with the no wet suit thing. not the case. i saw 2 other girls of 645 with no wet suit. people were looking at me like "who's the crazy naked girl?" funny thing is, the water felt great and i'd do it again without the suit.
  • bike: felt really strong the whole way, but definitely tried to save some for the run (i don't like to run. yuck.). next time i'll try to make up more time on the bike and get under 2 hours.
  • run: 1st thing on the course was this crazy ginormous hill. and the course was a loop. so i had to run back up it. ha. felt lots better than i thought i would though. it's amazing how your body just goes when it's already that warm. i actually ran 3 miles 9 minutes faster than i usually run it on the treadmill. in the heat. in the sun. on gravel. up and down hills. definitely surprised myself.
  • overall: loved the atmosphere and the whole experience. it was a blast and i'll definitely do it again. i might make it a post-baby exercise boost tradition. i have to admit though that with all of the moving chaos on top of the training i think i'm going to do lots of yoga for the next few months. :)

action shot

i was really hoping my bicep would look better than that. it should. van is ginormosaurus.

my cheering section

emery showing the camera her favorite part of the race - the gatorade at the end that mom had


in other news, this is van's new favorite face. i can't even tell you how much funnier it is in person. aaron and i die laughing every time he does it.



AND... i got to chew these cheeks last night. don't you want to just eat him alive? and i had a dreamy visit with cheeks' mom and my other beautiful red headed bff. in my heaven it's what we'll do every day. sit on wicker patio furniture holding our tiny babies and watching our toddlers play in the grass. i love them.
house pictures are coming. we're unpacking SLOW since my neglected kids need some attention. we're getting there. :)

14 comments:

Amy said...

Yay, Britt! You are so awesome! I ran a 5k last weekend and I was super shocked that it was significantly faster than my treadmill. It must be the adrenaline?

How did you train for swimming? I've been working toward a triathlon. I can bike and run with the girls, but I have no idea how to get swimming in. Send me your tips! parker.amy.jo@gmail.com

Lindsay said...

1. You are awesome and I really don't think I could ever do that!
2. I also don't think I would look as gorgeous and happy as you did in those pictures after it was done!
3. Van is SO cute! I want to see him again! And you, of course!!

Anonymous said...

Okay. Your bicep looks awesome. You are amazing. After the resurrection, maybe I'll be as tough as you are.

Allie said...

You rock! I've been excited to hear how it went. Go Britt! I REALLY want to do a tri this summer. Perhaps I'll borrow a bike from someone and go for it. BTW, if I were running it, you would have seen me sportin my swimsuit bottoms with a running tank :o)

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

That is AWESOME!!!! Congrats on doing so well! Cute pictures, I love that your whole family was there cheering you on.

Terry said...

Sorry I haven't made a comment before...I'm kind of "comment" ignorant of how it works. Anyways I just want to let you know how I LOVE looking at your blog! I love the photos of my Luvies! I lOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!! And miss them so much my heart aches. But thank goodness for this wonderful blog that I can drool over my babies and kiss their precious faces on my computer.( My computer is so smudged with kiss marks.) It definitely eases the heart pains. So proud of you sweetie on your success as an athlete and for being an incredible mother and adoring wife to my son. I am sooooo blessed with the most wonderful, fantabulous daughter in law in the world!!!! Love you!

Kristi said...

Woot! Woot! Way to go!!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

i am glad you enjoyed it! i really liked the experience when i did one last summer too. i think i am going to ramp it up and ben and i are going to try to a 1/2 ironman this year. that is the plan, but then with having no idea where we will be or what we will be doing later this summer/fall, i hope it still works out. way to go!

HW said...

Go Britt! I'm not even amazed. Just proud. You're wonderful in every way.

Jessica said...

That is incredibly awesome, Britt! Way to go. I bet it felt completely awesome after you were done. What a high.

I also can't believe how much Van looks like his daddy--just a blonde version!

Fab Five said...

Way to go, Brit! You're awesome!!!

Mark & Bek said...

Good job Britter. I love your tri pictures. I wish I could see you in your suit among all those wet suiters. Who is that super saggy cheeked little baby? Love you

David and Maggi said...

yay Britt. Hail the conquering triathlete and mom and home refurbisher. I cannot believe how much you have accomplished the past month. Incredible. I think there should be special recognition for running a triathalon while nursing. Awesome! Also, the pic of Luke...hi boy version of Bekah. So cute. That was a fun night!!!

CC Sampson said...

Holy nugget! Will you give up already? You are wonder woman! I guess I will have to train for the next one with you. Seriously let me know!