Monday, November 15, 2010

Thankful

Since my Aunt Heather thinks that everyone's blog are too quiet and this is basically my way of journaling, I thought I'd just write tonight about what I'm thankful for, it being November and all:

  • I'm thankful that Aaron has a good job. Did you know that Las Vegas has the highest unemployment rate in the nation? This is a scary place to live right now. But we are so blessed that Aaron has a great job that makes us enough money that I can stay home with our babies. My dad likes to remind me of that when I whine about him being out of town or working a 12 hour day (like today). He tells me "But at least he has a job". And it's a good one. My dad is so right.
  • I'm thankful for prayer and fasting. I'm an awful, terrible, no-good faster. I eat about once every 2 hours on normal days so I'm prone to getting really low blood sugar, really fast when I try and fast. Yesterday was one of those days. I really didn't think I was going to make it. But I've discovered the key to fasting - fasting with a purpose. And not just a purpose, but a purpose that matters so much more to you than your own physical pain. A purpose for which you'd sacrifice food for much longer than a day if the Lord would just grant that blessing to the person for whom you are fasting. And then pray. Pray that you'll have the strength to make it. It works. My fast was physically easy yesterday after I got down on my knees and pleaded for His help. It's cool to see a physical blessing come from a spiritual plea. I was very literally physically sustained by the spirit. I wish I could have a fast like that every month. I guess I have time to get there, right?
  • I'm thankful for friends. My friends saved me two weeks ago from what could have been a very terrible, abnormally emotional (for me - if you know me you know I'm not very emotional), lonely week. But they were here. And they always are.
  • I'm thankful to be a mother. I have 2 amazing kids and as much as I want more, if I never got them I'd still be a mother to the 2 most amazing creatures I've ever known. I can't believe we created them. I couldn't ask for more.
  • I'm thankful for Target. Shallow, I know. But I really am. $0.74 hand towels for my kids' bathroom make me so happy.
  • I'm thankful for the innocence of children. They are so purely charitable and mine teach and remind me every day how much I often lack. I talked to Emery for 5 minutes about giving the money in her money jar to sick kids who need it more than she does and she jumped on giving it all to them. Would I give all of my money to them if I could?
  • I'm thankful that I found Van doing this today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for you.

Hey! We have the same vacuum! :)

HW said...

Hooray! I love the things you are thankful for. Even Target--me too by the way. I am thankful you take blogging suggestions from your auntie. :) I love you.

The Rust said...

I am thankful for.........YOU GUYS!!!!

janaemadsen said...

I am also thankful for target...

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Love this post! The one about the fast is so true! I have had that same experience and you reminded me of the feeling I had. Now I will remember to be more like this when I fast... so thank you!

Target is not shallow at all! Mostly because I think a lot of people are thankful for it. IT IS GENIOUS!

Yes, your darling children are such a blessing! And the innocents of a child is phenomenal. Kids are the sweetest things to ever exist and I hope everyone cherishes kids like you guys do!

Love this post! It is nice to see what make you happy. You guys have a great life!

derrickfam said...

Britt, cutest family pic ever!! You are beautiful and so is the rest of your cute little family peeps.